Saturday, February 2, 2008

just more stuff

I was standing in the checkout line at the local grocery store and saw a book titled The Complete Idiot's Guide to Prayer. My first thought was, "You've got to be kidding me." Then I thought, maybe this is just the thing that can help the "outsider" have some kind of access into a much larger perspective...or as Obi-wan Kenobi would say, "you've taken step into a much larger world." I used to be an "outsider". I didn't come to know Jesus until I became an adult. As an outsider looking in, I believed these church people thought they were better than me and they certainly engaged in this religious stuff without question that was all alien to me. Now that I've been "in" for as long as I have I learned that I was wrong. It's easy to believe that something like prayer is certainly something sacred and has to be done with a special language and ritual. I was wrong about this too. Prayer is simply the word we humans use to identify communication with God. It's talking to God in the most personal and intimate way, at the same time He does the same with us. Yep, that's pretty much it. It's that simple.

No comments: