Sunday, February 17, 2008

more random thoughts from this wild and crazy brain

This weekend, my wife and I served with our team at our church. We serve God as ushers/greeters with the church as part of a ministry called Guest Services, formally and more affectionately called First Impressions. I was reminded that we are just that, the first impressions of the church. What I really got to thinking about this weekend was how disconnected I feel. I serve with these people, but do not really know them. I sent an email to my team leaders with the idea that we DO get to know each other. I hope that this happens.

The message of this weekend at church dealt with money. Yeah I know, money is such a hot-button issues among people. It even can get my biscuits burnin'. Here's what I've concluded about money:
  • IT'S NOT MY MONEY! I'm not the owner, God is the owner. I'm simply a manager of His stuff.
  • Money is just that, stuff or tokens that we can use to get other stuff.
  • Buying and selling is not part of God's system. God tells us to give to one another, generously and abundantly and outrageously. Giving is His system.
  • From the film Hello Dolly, I love this line: "Money is, if you'll pardon the expression, like manure. It does no good unless you spread it around encouraging the young to grow."
Now here is something scary, I was reminded that everything I do and say has an influence on others. I never know when, or who, or even how, but someone else is influenced. This is so cosmically profound and staggering. I don't even know if or when anyone reads from this blog. To all who may read from here, I'm truly and completely humbled. What say we all pray for each other, eh? I know I need all the help from my Heavenly Father that I can get.

No comments: