Thursday, February 7, 2008

God's will v. free-will of humanity

This is just staggering! God made us, humans, with the ability and complete freedom to make up our own minds! We can freely choose which way to go, what to accept or reject, and yes...even to reject God. WHOA! Why???

I've come to learn that God wanted us, humans, to be lovers. True love can only be an act of free-will. God did not want us to be these lifeless mechanisms. He didn't want a bunch of mindless drones. He wanted lovers.

When bad things happen to us, I hear people say that it must be the will of God...or something to this affect. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? I've learned that God does NOT cause bad things to happen to us. Many of the bad things that happen are the result of our own doing...not His. We make bad decisions and WHAM! We get hit with bad consequences. God may allow so much to happen, but He is not the cause. It is His will that we have free-will, so He doesn't thwart that. Because He doesn't thwart our free-will, when bad things happen it is mostly because we made a bad choice. Sometimes we can only learn the hard way. Sometimes we're the victim of some degree of injustice. Only God knows.

I believe that saying "It's God's will" for every bad thing that happens is just an easy out. We say it because it's easy, but I think it hides the reality that this world is full of people who make bad decisions. I've made some bad decisions in my life and the consequences weren't/aren't the best. The only thing I can get out of it all is a lesson learned.

No comments: