Monday, January 21, 2008

God is good!

Today was a good day. I was reminded that sometimes I have to go through a little pain for a greater good. The time with the oral hygenist was a little painful with that whole metal scraper thingy, but it cleans out the tatar and other junk. It saves me from having any bigger problems. Sometimes God allows us to go through some painful times to prevent any bigger problems.

I'm in the middle of Psalms right now, I've read up to chapter 50. Every time I read from the Bible, I like to ask three questions.

  1. What does this say about God? God is awesome, period! In each instance, God shows Himself to be faithful, loving, righteous, and true. Plus, there just isn't anything or anyone bigger than Him.
  2. What does this say about other people? We all have a longing to have value and to be accepted. David and others express how much they want God to come through for them. This also shows how desparately dependent on Him we are.
  3. What does this reveal about myself? I've been reading the Message paraphrase version by Eugene Peterson and I love how this version captures the emotion of the Psalms. I connect immediately with what the writers are expressing. I too am so desparately dependent on God to get through. I also feel like the world of godless people are out to take me out. I also feel the world opposing me from being fully all of what God created me to be.
So yeah, the Psalms are a great book to pray. The Psalms are raw, passionate, honest, and genuine cries of real people.

Indeed, God is good!

No comments: