Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Baritone Saxophone: Beauty and the Beast

The baritone saxophone, or bari sax for short, is a very beautiful instrument.  She can produce sounds like no other.  She indeed adds a dimension to the whole sound of the band that her absence is certainly noticed.  However, she can be temperamental and even unforgiving at times.  The slightest misalignment of any of her keys or if her structural integrity is compromised in any way, she just won't play like before.

Last Friday I experienced an unfortunate incident.  As I was warming up on my bari sax the plastic clip of my harness broke, which caused my lovely instrument to fall to the floor.  She was impacted in two places and upon initial inspection she seemed okay.  Then I saw that her bell was bent.  Okay, I thought, a minor cosmetic problem that can be easily repaired.  Then as I played her low A, that's where she was unforgiving.  Before I could play the low A, Bb, and even B natural without any problem and could even play her ever so softly with a clean and pure tone.  Now, I have to work to get the notes out and she won't allow me to play her that softly.  Even her low C# takes a little work to play well.  Perhaps the structural integrity of her body is compromised?  I don't know.  I do believe, however, that with an instrument such as this once any of her integrity has been compromised she'll never play the same again.  I did have her worked on yesterday and she does play a little better down below, but it is not the same as before.  Oooh, if only she could talk and say where the true problem lies.

No comments: