Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Home Improvement

Finally! The little home improvement projects that were a must are now complete! First there was the steps of the front porch. They were a precast concrete, but were crumbling apart. So with the help of my dad we built new steps out of wood. In order to do this, however, I had to switch the storm door to make it swing inward rather than outward. This was all done in August.

Second, the toilet in the bathroom was positioned in such a way that when you needed to sit down on it for good ole #2 your knees would be pressing up against the bathtub. Not a real comfortable situation. So I purchased a new toilet with an elongated bowl shape and new flooring. Again with the help of my dad we removed the old toilet, flooring, and drain plumbing in the basement specifically for the toilet. Then we installed the new flooring, the new toilet positioning it to be parallel with the tub, and intalled the new drain plumbing in the basement. Aaaah, much better. My wife especially appreciates it. This project was completed in September.

Finally, after dropping Comcast last June my wife and I only had a small UHF antenna outside that only recieved a couple of local channels. We had NBC and CBS without trouble, but ABC and FOX were another story. So I purchased a new outdoor antenna from Radio Shack along with a rotor and cable and a high gain signal amplifier. Again with the help of my dad we got that installed just this past weekend. Now, with the digital converter box, we get all the local channels and can even pick up Chicago. The catch is there is a tree limb that is caught when the antenna is rotated around to the west. The challenge is that limb is rather high up. I think my dad and I will come up with a simple solution to this challenge.

Aaah the joys of home ownership...or should it be stewardship? After all, all this stuff is owned by God anyway. I just get to use it for a time. So yeah, I suppose a more acurate description is home stewardship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From a woman's perspective on the project of the new toilet in the bathroom: When I first came into this house and used that bathroom, I was like "Oh my goodness, you've got to be kidding me!?" So from that day on, I sat sideways on that toilet. I tell you one thing, it sure helps that now the toilet is facing the right way! All the women in our family that have used our bathroom will gladly thank us that we changed that all around! It took over 2-4 years to get that changed. I guess some things don't get done unless a women has a say in it!