Monday, April 14, 2008

small interventions...viral effect

Currently my church is doing a message series called Viral Effect. The whole idea is that you can communicate something at a small level and it will most likely travel at an exponential rate. We see this kind of thing in Cyberspace. Whether in the land of blogs, Youtube, Myspace, Facebook,...the list goes on. This all has me thinking about my part in His whole grand epic drama.

I'm small, that's it. My part is small, but still important. I've began to pay attention to how little things can have a significant impact. It might not seem like it at the time, but it does have an impact. Jesus did say that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, we can say to this mountain 'move from here to there' and it will move and nothing will be impossible for us. This all says to me that a tiny bit can go a long long way. So I compare myself to a single grain of sand.

A gain of sand is tiny. To see such a thing requires concentration or even magnification. When a grain of sand works its way inside an oyster, something wonderful happens. After much time, a beautiful pearl forms. Now to the oyster, that sand is irritating. So yeah, I'm like a grain of sand. I'm small, I can be irritating, but through all the tiny little interventions I engage something beautiful can emerge.

One of my pastors has talked about dreaming big. I suppose in his position that would make sense. For me, small is good.

No comments: