Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's Not About Me

If you've read the Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren, this is the first line you read in chapter 1. This lines up with Matthew 16:24, "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Here's what this says to me.

"...deny himself..."
Indeed it's not about me. It's all about Him. To follow Christ is to submit to His will, to surrender my life to His, to become all of His. So really then, any good thing I engage in isn't of my own effort. It is all of His effort in me. I can love others because He loved me first. I can give to others because He gave to me first. This leads into another verse of the Word in Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." God wrote a Script for our unique lives in our hearts, so this is where I look.

"...take up his cross daily..."
It won't be easy. Jesus never said it will be easy. Jesus also said in John 10:9-11, "9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. " Indeed our Shepherd laid down His life for us.

"...and follow Me."
We're not alone. Jesus is always with us no matter what the circumstances. There are numerous verses in the Word that clearly tell us that He is always with us, He will never forsake us.

No comments: